Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, November 11, 2012

UK inspired Challenge - Isle of Wight

 Well I'm not really sure why I picked the Isle of Wight... maybe because I live on an island?  Or was it because I really like Mozaics.... But with very little research I discovered that the Isle of Wight not only has ancient roman mozaics it has 3 breweries... and since drinking local beers is one of our favorite pastimes as we're traveling... how could I not focus my necklace(s) on BEER! I found a really interesting web site called  Wightwash the Isle of Whytes official CAMRA site  (CAMPAIGN FOR REAL ALE)  After checking out Wightwash and all the lovely beaches we might have to put the Isle of Wight  on our list of must visit places!   

The Isle of  Wight covers an area of approx 380 sq km... Deer island (where I live)  is just over 100 sq km and we have no Breweries.... not only do we have no Breweries most of our restaurants close in the winter!  We also seem to have very little interesting  history, no Roman mozaics, no ancient ruins and no lovely beaches. We have  what I refer to as intertidal schluck.. It  comes and goes twice a day ( we have 28 foot tides here)

Now your probably asking just what beer has to do with jewellery... A lot in this case!  We spent 2 weeks in NL in Sept and their local Brewery  Quidi Vidi bottles  their beer in slightly different shaped   bottles than the rest of Canada, so we had a couple of left over bottles that needed to have something done with them!  So I made two necklaces out of beer bottles. My husband sawed the ends off  and I cut them up The knotted glass bead necklace is all one bottle the fused neckrings are actually a different bottle as the Newfoundland bottle didn't have much of a neck. The etched beads in the ring necklace are beads I've had forever.. they look old, I think they are etched glass, but might be rock(?), I thought one of my shorebird beads was an appropriate focal for an island with lots of beaches... It also has a marina full of sailboats... but I'm not sure sailing around the Isle of Wight would be any warmer than sailing in the Bay of Fundy?

 Closeup of Beer bottle beads and rings
Not sure about the strings hanging off everywhere,I'm definitely fibre challenged when it comes to making jewellery, I'd love to grab my scissors and cut them off!
What I started with .... after a little bit of sawing and cutting...


For other participants in this challenge
or use the list below!
The HostsLesley Watt Gossiping Goddess
Rebecca Anderson Songbeads
Pippa Chandler Pip's Jewellery
Teresa Hulley Bo Hulley Beads
Natalie McKenna Grubbi
Jo Tinley Daisychain Designs
Dorset
Ginger Bishop Lilmummylikes
Cece Cormier The Beading Yogini
Therese Frank Therese’s Treasures
Cilla Watkins Tell Your Girlfriends
Sherry Baun
Edinburgh
Therese Frank Therese’s Treasures
Kashmira Patel Sadafulee
Caroline Dewison Blueberribeads
Sherry Baun
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Lucy Haslam
Bath
Sherry Baun
Isle of Wight
Duane Clark Bizzy Bead
Sharyl McMillian-Nelson Sharyl's Jewelry
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Jean Wright Just Beadey
D Lynne Bowland Islandgirl’s Insights
Sherry Baun
Liverpool
Shalini Austin   Jewellery by Shalini
Doris Stumpf Glaszwerg
Sherry Baun
Lennis C Windbent
Southampton
Sherri Stokey Knot Just Macramé
Sherry Baun
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Kathy Lindemer Bay Moon Design

18 comments:

Jean A. Wells said...

Beautiful, beautiful and fun, fun necklace. DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH those "strings hanging off". They lend this necklace a bit of playfulness that reflects your personality. It is perfect just the way it is. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful creative process with us. Great job!

Sharyl said...

I did the Isle of Wight too! But making this terrific necklace AND making your own beads out of beer bottles, I say you "win" hands-down! That is just so impressive!

P.S. I agree with Jean. I think the strings should stay!

Islandgirl said...

OK I'll keep away from my scissors... grump!

AntiquityTravelers said...

Holy Smokes Girl! this is so seriously cool! Beer bottles - brilliant! What a creative mind you have!!!!! And I'm with Jean and Sharyl .. the strings add to the ruggedness of the northern beaches! And then there is that ab-fab bird bead! I LOVE this!

baymoondesign said...

Pretty cool making beads out of beer bottles!

A Hovel to Home said...

Oh my word, even though my Kilns can do fusing, I have never been brave enough to try.

However, your wonderful creation makes me itch to give it a go.

Kay

Cat said...

This is too cool for words, and I don't even drink beer! ;-)

Therese's Treasures said...

Awesome necklace, I love that you were able to make your glass beads from a beer bottle. Oh to have such a talent! I like the idea of visiting the local breweries when traveling. I usually scope out the wineries.
Therese







aneri_masi said...

Wow!!! Way to be inspired by something! Who'da think of beer bottle beads, this is cool!

Jo said...

Wow! Your own beads as well as a fantastic necklace design! But then again, I should have expected that from you :) Beautiful work Lynne, I love that the breweries inspired you, and the lampwork bead is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for taking part in our challenge!

Lesley said...

Fabulous interpretation, beads and necklace Lynne - love it... and such and interesting post too. Thank you so much for joining in out challenge.

Anonymous said...

What a great necklace Lynne - don't cut off the hanging things - they add to its personality! I did the Isle of Wight also!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I always approve of cleverly recycled components. I'll have a pint and send you "cheers" for a job well done.

Caroline said...

I love the components to your necklace, the beer bottle beads are genius! All together they're a winning combination!

Shalini Austin Metalsmith said...

Beautiful!

Don't need to say any more :-)

Jean said...

Thank you for your kind comments on my necklace. I think this is amazing and so original, I love the thought of wearing beer bottles around my neck. There are many pubs on the isle of wight, so very fitting.

Karen Williams said...

When I was at Bead Fest TX I picked up several tumbled glass rings to use in future projects. They looked so cool! But I would never have tried to make my own.

Your finished necklace is delightful.

I know you're a glass artist, but I'm still sooo impressed! And I love your story - you share information about the Isle of Wight and your home island both in such engaging terms!

Islandgirl said...

Thanks everyone! I keep looking longinly at the blue wine bottles in the liquor store but I hate white wine... except in fondue....