Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, October 31, 2010

How it came to be... Starving Artist Blog

Or why I NOW work with glass... I started life as a Geologist....


There's lots of directions that I could head off in with that statement... very little that I do with glass was premeditated... I took my first flat glass class because a friend of a friend canceled and didn't want to loose her money... so I stepped in.... My first big panel was a bathroom window for my sister, the second one was the panel that Noreen... the friend that talked me into taking my first flat glass class started in that class... she bit off way more than she could chew! But that panel was finished 6 or 7 years later and installed in her parents front hall.... IN between about all I did was attempt a 6 panel faux tiffany lamp... I finished one panel in the class... cut out all the rest and had the pieces unlabeled on top of the drier in the basement... My 2 year old went down stairs and transferred all the neat piles of unlabeled glass into a bucket.... they stayed there unsorted for about 8 years.... The lamp then spent 11 years in my dining room in SK and has been hanging in 'Rapunzels' tower in NB for the last 3 years!



My foray into glass beads was because I saw and bought a hot head because it was in a wholesale catalogue and in those days there weren't a lot of new toys available so when there was something ... I got it!

Bounce forward another 6 years to my move to NewBrunswick in Sept of 2001... gone is my 1200 sq ft commercial studio... I have an unheated, uninsulated garage to make beads in or a dungeon with water up to my knees whenever it rains to do stained glass in.... What a choice!


Dungeon still has almost no heat but the river is gone.....

Now I have a heated bead studio and a sump pump in the dungeon.... I'll take the bead studio with the windows facing the government wharf... who wouldn't prefer to cuddle over a warm flame and watch fishing boats come and go, then work on a muddy concrete floor ....

View through the screen and my messy workbench!

For the last 11 years I have also run a seasonal gallery featuring work done by Canadian Women... but that's a whole nother story!


Other artists participating in this month blog

Sylvia from Galadryl


Bonnie from The FamiLee Jewels


Julie from Northern Girl Jewelry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was an interesting story, thank you, love your lamp. Beautiful.

Happileerving said...

Your story is great. It is fun to learn how people found their passion. Your studio view is terrific. I can only imagine the rainbows you must get when the sun shines on all those beautiful sticks of glass.

Caron Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing your story - it was interesting to see how you started and where you are now, that view is fantastic!

Cat said...

Thanks for sharing. What an interesting journey!